The Afternoon Walk on Saturday


Some days are too gorgeous not to be outside!

Saturday was one of those days. It was glorious outside and I started my walk from Harajuku and before I knew it, I was in Shinjuku. Of course I stopped here and there to take pictures along the way.

My old boss used to tell me that a true real estate businessman goes out and walks around the streets to get to know the area. He said that no amount of research can exceed the power of seeing through your eyes and interacting with local people. And although I did lift an eyebrow at the use of the word "businessman (Hello? I am a woman.)," I have to agree. Every time I walk down a new street I learn something new about that area.

Like this weekend, I never realized how close Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium was to Shinjuku Gyoen, my favorite park. I've started working out lately (kind of) so it was really interesting seeing the facilities there. They have a pool and gym that are open to the public when the gymnasium is not used for events...they even had a basketball hoop with a half court. Made me wish I could actually play basketball.

I also couldn't resist stepping into Shinjuku Gyoen for a bit. I was just enjoying all the green sprouting everywhere in the park when I remembered Rurousha's azalea post. So off I went looking for azaleas! (You can see what I found below in the pictures!) After the azaleas, it felt so good under the sun that I ended up taking a little nap in the field. Actually, it may have been a deep sleep. Not too sure but it felt great. And it was all worth having pieces of grass and bits of dirt all over my dress and hair. Ha.

Here are the pictures:

Azaleas decorating every other street.

Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium looks UFO-ish, don't you think?



Shinjuku Gyoen was multiple shades of green...so gorgeous.



The azalea garden was a bright burst of color in this corner of Shinjuku Gyoen.



Quite the change from this view but I love this, too.



I am addicted to these homemade granola bars...this one is cranberry, raisin, and chocolate.

Never one to miss a chance to walk barefooted.

If this great weather keeps up, afternoon naps in the park may become a weekly thing!

Labels: , ,