The Top 5 Christmas Movies


It's almost Christmas! Have you been watching any holiday movies?

I feel like in Japan, where Christmas is more of a commercial event and weirdly a romantic holiday, Christmas movies are essential for getting into the holiday spirit. Which is why (just in case you haven't been watching already) I'm going to share my favorite Christmas movies with you today. And even if you aren't into Christmas, you can just consider this a list of educational material on a certain pagan festival ;)


Here are my favorites:

"Karen: So what's this big news, then?
Daisy: We've been given our parts in the nativity play. And I'm the lobster.
Karen: The lobster?
Daisy: Yeah!
Karen: In the nativity play?
Daisy: Yeah, FIRST lobster.
Karen: There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?
Daisy: Duh."
LOVE ACTUALLY
I love this movie for three reasons: (1) British English, (2) tons of merry humor, and (3) Colin Firth. Need I say more?



“Bah, humbug.”
A CHRISTMAS CAROL 
I grew up watching the Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol, long before I even knew of Charles Dickens. The ghost scenes always made me inch closer to my parents but it was always a holiday favorite for our family. I didn't realize there were so many versions though!


"Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends."
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
Yes, it is a wonderful life, especially when you're watching this! Can you believe that this classic holiday movie came out in 1946 but took over 20 years for it to become as popular as it is today? In Japanese the title is "Subarashiki-kana, Jinsei (素晴らしき哉、人生!)." I think this was my dad's favorite holiday movie and we used to watch this every year when it was on television. The angel-in-training is a dear and the last scene always makes me emotional.



"Keep the change, ya filthy animal."
HOME ALONE
After all these years, I still adore this movie. It is a beautiful Christmas movie set in Chicago (my favorite city!) and you will laugh and laugh over how smart this kid is. But my favorite part is the interaction he has with his next door neighbor. It always reminds me that people may not be what they seem. Also, all the crazy 90s outfits in the movie are just too fabulous.




" He would get these far-off looks in his eyes and he would say 'Life doesn't always turn out the way you plan'. I just wish I'd realized at the time, he was talking about MY life."
WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING
My favorite Christmas movie of all time!!! I know you've all seen it. It's so good I sometimes even watch it in the middle of the year and not just because this movie is also set in Chicago. Lucy and Jack are the lead characters but what makes this movie even more special is the fabulous cast they have surrounding these two. It's the most heartwarming story ever, that will make you laugh and cry, quite possibly at the same time. And I'd know, I've watched it twice already this year ;)


So there's my list! Happy holidays, everyone! xx

(images via here, here, here, here and here)

Labels: ,